With courgette, peppers and eggs, this vegetarian dish is a filling, healthy breakfast for all the family – kids will enjoy dipping toast into soft egg yolk.
Eggs are a staple breakfast item, as they’re easy to prepare, versatile, and packed with high-quality protein and other nutrients (2Trusted Source).
Also, compared with cereal, eggs may keep kids feeling more full throughout the morning (4Trusted Source).
One study in 8- and 9-year-old children found that those who ate more lutein-rich foods had higher levels of lutein in their retinas. This was associated with improved academic performance, including better scores in math and written language (5Trusted Source).
Here are some scrumptious ways to serve eggs for breakfast.
- STEP 1Boil the new potatoes for 8 mins, then drain.
- STEP 2Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan, then add the courgette, peppers, potatoes and a little salt and pepper. Cook for 10 mins, stirring from time to time until everything is starting to brown. Add the spring onions, garlic and thyme and cook for 2 mins more.
- STEP 3Make four spaces in the pan and crack in the eggs. Cover with foil or a lid and cook for around 4 mins, or until the eggs are cooked (with the yolks soft for dipping into). Sprinkle with more thyme leaves and ground black pepper if you like. Serve with toast.
- 300g baby new potatoes , halved
- ½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 courgette , cut into small chunks
- 1 yellow pepper , cut into small chunks
- 1 red pepper , cut into small chunks
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 1 sprig thyme , leaves picked
- 4 eggs